Dr. Akhil Sastry is Board Certified and Fellowship Trained surgeon specializing in joint replacement surgery. He is one of the few surgeons who has been trained in the Direct Anterior Hip Replacement Surgery, and the first to have performed this operation in the seacoast, having helped hundreds using the minimally invasive muscle sparing approach. Dr. Sastry is also actively involved in instructional courses teaching this sophisticated procedure to other orthopaedic surgeons.
He is currently serving as Chief of Orthopaedics at Portsmouth Regional Hospital.
Dr. Sastry is a leader in the Direct Anterior Hip Replacement Surgery, leading training programs for Stryker throughout the country. He is a National Stryker Anterior Hip Faculty Member. To learn more about his involvement, and the procedure, click here.
Akhil Sastry, MD, received his medical degree from Northeastern Ohio University College of Medicine. He completed his internship in General Surgery at New York Medical College, and his residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at Drexel University College of Medicine.
Dr. Sastry recently completed a fellowship for joint preservation and reconstruction at the Rubin Institute for Advanced Orthopaedics at the Sinai Hospital of Baltimore
Dr. Sastry has co-authored articles in publications and given numerous podium presentations throughout the United States.
“My mission is to deliver patient care with integrity and compassion”
– Akhil Sastry, M.D, FAAOS
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- B.S. Boston University, Boston, MA
- M.D. Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine, Rootstown, Ohio
Internship and Residency
- New York Medical College/Westchester Medical Center – General Surgery
- Drexel University College of Medicine – Orthopedic Surgery
- Joint Preservation and Reconstruction – Sinai Hospital of Baltimore, Baltimore, MD
Anterior hip replacement surgery and hip surgery; knee replacement; general orthopedics.
- Stryker Corporation- Direct Anterior Hip Education
- Medtronic, Inc.- Research and Development
- Sastry A and Delanois RE. Total hip replacement – templating. In: The total joint interactive educational program. Schmalzried TP, Parvizi J, Pellegrini VD, Hungerford DS, Mont MA, Scuderi GR, eds. Magnifi Group Inc., San Diego California. 2009. Available at: http://www.totaljoint-iep.com
- Sastry A and Delanois RE. Total hip replacement – indications for total hip replacement. In: The total joint interactive educational program. Schmalzried TP, Parvizi J, Pellegrini VD, Hungerford DS, Mont MA, Scuderi GR, eds. Magnifi Group Inc., San Diego California. 2009. Available at: http://www.totaljoint-iep.com
- Cerynik DL, Ewald T, Sastry A, Tom J. Outcomes of Isolated Glenoid Labral Injuries in Professional Baseball Pitchers.Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine. 2008 May; 18(3) 255-258
- Beiner J, Sastry A, Stock G, Vaccaro A. An Aneurysmal Bone Cyst in the Cervical Spine of a 10 Year Old Girl. Spine Journal. 2006 Jun; 31(14) 475-479
In The News
- Portsmouth Herald- Direct Anterior Hip Article
- Seniors Magazine Radio Show- Interview on Joint Replacement Surgery September 2012
- NH Magazine Top Docs Edition- Publication on Anterior Hip Replacement April 2012
- Manchester Union Leader- Direct Anterior Hip Article
Anterior Hip Lecture Series
- Tampa, FL – March 2016
- Las Vegas, NV – July 2016
- New Hampshire Musculoskeletal Institute – September 2015
- Bedford, NH – September 2015
- Tampa, FL – July 2015
- Chicago, IL – October 2014
- September 2014 – Portsmouth, NH
- July 2014 – Long Beach, CA
- June 2014 – Tampa, FL
- October 2013 – Tampa Bay, FL
- September 2013 – Chicago, IL
- July 2013 – Long Beach, CA
- October 2012 – Waltham, MA
- May 2012 – Portland, ME
- February 2012 – San Francisco, CA
- March 2011 – Wells, ME
- November 2010 – Portsmouth, NH
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery Member: 2004 – Present
New Hampshire Medical Society Member 2010 – Present